June 29, 2009

Please, Let Me Sleep And Hey, Look At This New Painting

Please, Let Me Sleep
I should be uploading some hi-res images for someone to look at, but I'm so frigging tired that I'll have to do in the morning, plus I misplaced the titles of two of the paintings which happen to be in storage, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow in order to check the titles anyway. Movers adage, "Touch only once." I also need to take better photos of a couple of them.

This is what I get for slacking off on my office work and not being so anal about documenting every single thing right after I make it. It's also what I get for procrastinating on titles and pretending I can live in general chaos while I focus only on painting.

I bought Aperture® a couple of years ago and although it has proved excellent for quickly resizing multiple images, it crashes every other minute, sometimes seconds and no, I am not lying or exaggerating; therefore, I do not trust it to be THE database for all my images. I wish I could, but until I have a few hours to kill with tech support, I have another really crappy database system in place. It's called, Folders with Tiff Files And The File Names Are Sometimes Too Long to Store All the Info, So It Too, is Imperfect. Functional, yes, but barely. Expedient, no.

Since I paid good money for Aperture, I intend on one day leaning how to be a power user, along with forcing it to not crash, but in the meanwhile, I'm curious what software or system others use to track inventory. Please share.

And Hey, Look At This New Painting


I'm stumped. It's a freak of studio nature and I don't know what else to do with it. I'm mesmerized by how it doesn't remotely look like anything I've ever done. It just somehow appeared like this. I swear. It's like it followed me home or something. Normally, I would call this an in-between stage and continue to muck around, but I'm letting it ferment in the studio until I have a solid good reason but overloading it. I KNOW it needs more, so the odds of me leaving it like this are 100:1. For one, the flower thing is bugging me how it just landed on the post thing. Two, I can't believe I painted a flower thing. Three, it's like, waaaaaay too representational for me considering it started out as some sort of geometric scaffolding holding up nothing. Four, it looks like wallpaper for a nostalgic greenhouse. A for Awkward.

4 comments:

Carla said...

very interesing and very different.

M.A.H. said...

I give it about 2 days.

Steven LaRose said...

Keep it longer.
I totally believe that the mutants are important. Isn't it the new evolutionary theory that things don't change slowly, but rather in big leaps? Things swell up and then tip all of a sudden?

M.A.H. said...

My main problem is that, conceptually it just didn't get there for me. The struggle, the meandering, the journey all happened too quickly. Simply put, I did not get to "think" this piece into being. And because of where it is now, I feel like I know what it needs, which is even more strange and unsettling. Suddenly, it's a becoming a pre-conceived painting. Blech. (for me). Like I can already tell you that my next move in the wrong direction would be to bombard it with carnations. Which then means I think about what carnations mean (love, fancy that) along with the fact that they're like the Hallmark Card of the floral industry and then think about my personal history with carnations.

See, the painting is already completed and I haven't even touched it. Drag.
But who knows. I'll ignore it for now.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.