June 01, 2009

Parlor Amusements and Social Etiquette

Aside from contemporary art, I have strong interest and a background of sorts in antiques. Mostly furniture and books.

On my last visit home, I picked up Parlor Amusements and Social Etiquette, by GH Sandison. Estimated publish date 1895. Unfortunately the frontispiece and a few other preliminary pages are missing but otherwise, the book is intact.

In addition to schooling myself in topics such as BEAUTIFYING THE HANDS and WINKING AND DOZING IN PUBLIC, I'm slowly making the connections between literature and writings from this period, my work, painting, Romanticism, the state of contemporary art, current events, and the usual the day-to-day stuff that filters in.

3 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

You only visit your home?

M.A.H. said...

Yeah, I just noticed that. Depends on what side of the Mississippi I'm on. If I'm visiting home, it's in reference to the house I grew up in. If I'm away from home, it's my humble abode here in Culver City.

Problem is, I don't have a parlor.

Carla said...

I'm imagining how day to day stuff like Fang's issues plays into this.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.