June 23, 2009

Fun vs. Hard Work and the Modern Prometheus

Summer session. Day 2. I've already lost one student because supplies were expensive and because I could not guarantee him an "A" for showing up and trying. And even though he's in college, his mom said that she thought basic supplies like pencils, sketchbook, drawing pads and portfolios should be furnished. Plus all the supplies were going to be too much to carry around. In the end, it was "too much just to take for fun."

It would never occur to me to take a drawing class for fun. When I was in college, I took Emerson and Thoreau for fun, along with a ROTC riflery class.

I was willing to work with him on the supplies. I suggested a shoebox instead of a fancy art bin and told him how to make a portfolio from sturdy cardboard or poster board. I stopped short of suggesting he dig up some graphite or char his own wood.

Report from the studio-
Dammit, they are kicking my ass again. I thought one of the paintings was headed in a "too precious" direction and I totally f*cked with it. I feel awful. I really should stop anthropomorphizing them. I don't imagine any one else feels guilty for harassing a painting.

3 comments:

Carla said...

I don't feel guilty about harassing a painting, but I don't think I'm honest about what happens. I don't acknowledge that I may have really ruined something special.

Telling that kid to use a shoebox and make his own portfolio is so funny.

Steven LaRose said...

Lately, the first question I ask is "How many of you are taking this class for Fun?" It then allows me to go on my tirade. I usually get 3 or 4 those students that you profiled.

In the studio shots below, is there a test frame around the far left smaller piece? If so, does it overlap the painting or butt up to the edge?

M.A.H. said...

Good eye, Steven. Yes, that is a test frame (framed up by a professional, not me). There is 1/4" space between the canvas and the frame, and the canvas is flush with the frame as opposed to being recessed. Normally I'm not into framing, but I think I'm making an exception with these.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.