June 05, 2009

Yes, I thrive on a reward system. Doesn't everyone?


I still have non-art related paperwork to do, but I made a huge dent and thanks to my ever-shortening attention span, I accomplished much yesterday. I live so dangerously. All it took was one question that required more information than I had at my fingertips and I was able to seamlessly leave the computer, pick up a paint brush, make some strokes on a canvas, wipe off my paintbrush, walk in the house to attempt to retrieve said information, only to become further distracted. Why yes, I would rather be painting. I purposely don't wear paint clothes in the studio when I need to do paperwork, thinking, obviously mistakenly, that I won't paint in nice clothes. Roulette, I tell you. I think I escaped with no oil paint on the nice clothes, but by 6:00 pm I had, HAD, to suddenly refurbish the breakfast table which I've been absolutely loathing for some time. The table top itself was fine- it was from the appropriately titled, "5 o'clock room," at my aunt & uncle's old house- but I was SO over the chairs that it would require a separate post to explain.

In order to be economical, I would keep the table top and use my vintage Arthur Umanoff barstools as the new chairs. This required table surgery. I removed the old base and decided the Vika Artur trestle from Ikea would make the perfect new base. My worktable in the studio has been on a set for years. The height is adjustable- perfect for us non-committal types. By 6:30 pm I was sitting in traffic on my way to Ikea in Burbank. By 9 pm, I was loading up the car with the Vika Artur, 2 throw pillows, a scatter rug, a new shower curtain, a bath mat, 4 new cereal bowls, and a new bed pillow. By midnight, I had put together the table legs and had completed my home decor jag. Perfect!

1 comment:

Steven LaRose said...

"jag"

Only a person experienced in Chicagoness understands this word.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.