July 21, 2008

No-tech coffee


Oh the irony.
My uber-functional automatic drip coffee maker died. It didn't really die. It more like expired, leaving it's entrails on my counter top. I love coffee. Like most civilized people, I drink it every morning when I get up and every afternoon at 2 pm. Why 2, I do not know, but I systematically take a coffee break at 2 pm every day.

I trekked over to Target and was incredibly underwhelmed with lackluster selection of Mr. Coffee coffee makers. So after going all hi-tech with my new iPhone, I decided to counteract that move by NOT purchasing a new coffee maker. I went home, dug out my old Chemex coffee pot, which makes a far better cup of coffee and forces me to be mindfully engaged while making coffee every morning. It's not exactly the multi-tasker's dream machine- it seriously lacks a 'stop n serve' feature, and the ADD is still a bit of an issue, but I set my iPhone timer to play the Marimba so I don't forget the water boiling and I'm good. I haven't figured out how long it takes me be mindfully engaged in the act of making coffee every morning, but I'm okay with the switch.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.