July 05, 2008

My Obsession with Peppermint Ice Cream

My latent obsession started last week when I was having lunch with a friend who owns a wonderful restaurant in Nashville. It's called Martha's at the Plantation because it's located at Belle Meade Plantation and Martha is the chef and owner. If you're ever in Nashville, check it out. Anyway, another woman dining with us ordered the peppermint ice cream. I couldn't take my eyes off of it, but ended up going with peach cobbler because cobbler is cobbler, after all and who refuses cobbler? Not I. Earlier that week, after a little motorcycle ride through some rolling hills, I rewarded myself with the blueberry cobbler at Puckett's Bi-Rite in Leiper's Fork.

Yesterday, I craved peppermint ice cream. I don't think I've ever ordered peppermint ice cream. I usually go for rocky road, toffee, chocolate chip cookie dough, etc. Flavors the average 9-year- old likes. Not adult refreshing flavors, like peppermint.

But yesterday I HAD to have peppermint ice cream. This occurred to me at the grocery store, so the first place I checked was my grocer's freezer. No peppermint ice cream. To be fair there was a 50% less fat, Safeway brand sitting on the shelf mocking me, but not full-on creamy peppermint ice cream by someone known for their dairy products. I came home and Googled, ice cream culver city. Then I made phone calls.

Cold Stone Creamery- No peppermint ice cream.
Massimo's- No peppermint ice cream.
Mateo's- No peppermint ice cream.
Ben and Jerry's- No peppermint ice cream.
Baskin-Robbins- No peppermint ice cream.
I would have called Howard Johnson's if I knew where one was.

Finally I broadened my search and found a place in Marina Del Rey that promised me they had peppermint ice cream. Marble Slab Creamery-it's just like Cold Stone, except they carry peppermint ice cream. Which makes them better.

I rode my motorbike over there, ordered a single dip just to get that out of the way and then made off with a pint in my backpack for later.

File under what I do when I'm not painting. File under slightly obsessive tendencies.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Mary, be very very careful with this. Peppermint ice cream is dangerous.

M.A.H. said...

So I've realized.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.