March 23, 2010

Writing on the wall. Once you read the post, you'll groan at how cliché my post title was.


I don't know why I am compelled to upload work in progress, but I am. I worked on the above painting for a little bit today. Maybe I will work on it again tomorrow, but it was more like an experiment to see how I would handle the physical act of painting directly on the wall, along with with how I would make a painting without any preconceived notions to start with whatsoever. I guess this falls in to a Rules painting. (I will explain what I mean by that later, as well as my rules.)

I knew I would eventually do some wall paintings and when I came across Josh Smith's project at Deitch, something stuck in my head. I've decided to couple the idea of site specific painting with my desire to do "live" painting. The lack of the object, the efficiency of the mark, the expediency of the task at hand, the no-safety net approach to painting- all of these things make painting on the wall perfect for me right now. I'm still working on the small paintings on linen with the o k a y, but not great show title which needs revamping, but live wall painting feels like a meaty deviation. If all goes well, I plan on showing these (those) at the Brand Library and Art Center in May. Any other takers out there?
In other freaky scary news, we signed on the dotted line with a real estate broker today. 180 days or less until I fall out of the homeowning class. [Sigh.] Letting go, letting go.

2 comments:

M.A.H. said...

120 days or less. Bigger sigh.

Elaine Mari said...

cool cool cool. I love to see this; work in progress, I mean. It's validating somehow, is that the word?
There *is* a process, and not everything works out. It's like a high wire act, or something like that. I almost said like reality TV, sorry, ..only art nerds would tune in regularly (or maybe not, everybody wants to know how *the artist* does it).

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.