January 24, 2009

This would be tagged as strictly "Life".

FB is really quite amazing. A childhood friend and I reconnected yesterday afternoon. Instead of it being the FB friend thing where we said hi on each other's walls, she asked for my number and called me within about 5 minutes. We probably hadn't seen or talked to each other in 20 years. We were neighbors and ran around from the age of 10 until sometime in high school. I had been hanging with all the boys in my hood until I got tired of them. I heard there was a girl that lived down the street, so one day I walked down to her house and asked if she wanted to play. And voilá, we were friends. Her brother teased me way beyond what would be acceptable nowadays and broke my nose with a football, but that's another story that I won't go into. The amazing thing is that we were able to have a super real conversation yesterday as though no time had passed. I guess when you share experiences as 10 year-olds, growing up in the same neighborhood and know each others families, you can talk about anything like it's no big deal.

1 comment:

Steven LaRose said...

I'm finding that it is the pre-jr.-high friends that I fall back to the easiest. I had no idea that West Mercer Elementary meant so much to me. And certainly, because there is soooooo much time passed, the phone is more efficient.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.