January 14, 2009

I have downright lied today.

I have not worked on my cv (okay, I did open it up and add a couple of things) nor have I put my nose to the grindstone to look for additional work outside the studio or more classes to teach. Why? Beats me. Money's tight, so it would seem that throwing myself in front of a real job would appeal to me, but I wasn't able to focus on that today. Instead, I had a nice studio visit with a former student this morning, sold one of the grab bags, talked on an apparatus known as the "telephone" to two people, cried, brainstormed about some studio ideas with one of those people, walked Fang, ate an entire jar of pickled beets for lunch and stared at my Linked In account, not really understanding what to do next. It's so IBM looking. In fact some guy from UIC hunted me down as my first contact. He's in software, Enterprise Development. (I'm making the 'over my head' gesture right now.) I composed some emails and here I am.

I have a meeting tonight at 7pm and then afterward I intend to sit down and READ one of the two books that came in the mail yesterday:
The Gift by Lewis Hyde, a book that has escaped my radar for 25 years, which is about how long I've been calling myself an artist, and The Art Instinct by Denis Dutton.

It seems like a good time for me to read both of these books.

1 comment:

Steven LaRose said...

I'd cry too if I ate pickled beets.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.