January 16, 2009

Reportage

Complete sentences are not my friend. I don't feel like crafting words and dealing with sentence structure. Reader beware.

I worked on some oil paintings yesterday. Three. I started them at the end of last year and then left them in various stages while I dug into making some new works on paper. As I work on the watercolors and gouaches, I sense I am neglecting the paintings. For some reason I always consider the oil paintings (or whatever other mixed media stuff I use on canvas) more "serious" than the watercolors. They're not. The watercolors are as serious, but there's a lightness to them that is in direct correlation to the heaviness in the oil paintings. The canvases have their own gravitas- oil, sludge, opaque murky hues that in a watercolor seem counter instinctual. Water flows, Paints sticks.

Two of the paintings are 20" x 16". I like this size. I feel like I am now understanding these dimensions. I have a relationship with the canvas that feels like what a portrait might include-head, bust, partial torso. I'm suspecting that they're self-portraits. The third canvas is 24" x 30". I wrangled one of the 20 x 16's into a good place yesterday. I can leave it alone for a day or two, I think, without feeling compelled to attend to it.

I noticed I used the word, 'feel' and other words dealing with intuition 7 times in my post. This is telling.

Some notes on The Gift, the book I'm reading. I have trouble reading sometimes. I tend to scan, even when something's riveting. If there's any kind of a speed bump in the reading, I go into extreme scan mode, quickly looking for a sentence or concept or something to latch me in again. Then I feel guilty and try and re-read every word I scanned over. You'd never believe that I wrote poetry in my 20's. I barely believe it.

I'm getting a tad tired of wading through the all the anthropology, yet every page has some gems. Last night I came across his reference to the folk tale of "The Shoemaker and His Elves." I've always loved that tale and had forgotten about it at a conscious level. Hyde has mentioned more than a couple of times the uncanny concept of the artist disassociating his/herself from the making of the work, so that after the work is complete, there is a strange feeling that the "I" did not make the work. I do this all the time. I look at things I've painted and although I am fully aware that I did indeed paint them, (Proof: there's still paint under my fingernails this morning.) I feel like the shoemaker's elves have come in and finished them. I lose track in the gap between some moment in the thick of it when everything's a mess, to the moment they reach the other side.

Fang's asleep in my studio. He's been content to hang out and sleep in here more and more lately and it's comforting. I tell him he's got the day off from guard duty when he does this. (He's a shepherd mix, so he's usually by the gate playing sentry during the day.)

2 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

Good Fang.
How can you not be spooning with that fur ball?

ps
I've been systematically go through my flat files (I see yours in the background) and doing a purge. Sometimes I am stunned at what my elves have produced. Sometimes they seem to have been someone else's elves.

The recycle bin is slowly filling.

M.A.H. said...

Yeah, I have a box which I call my rehab box. Instead of immediately recycling they go there first for more work. If they're beyond that, they go to the chop shop box for harvesting as parts.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.