August 30, 2010

A shot of 'burban ennui or pre-show postpartum. You be the judge.

dog asleep in studio
The Gunfighter
Flavorwire posted this great list: Required Reading: 10 Classic Stories of Suburban Ennui and suddenly I felt the nostalgic chill of autumns long ago. I've been wrestling with my own suburban ennui this weekend. And yes, it's still a weekend because I had to sit home all day waiting for the Sears repairman today. The onset of ennui coincided with—and I know this is going to sound so lame— my need to trek to an office supply store to purchase a sharpie for labeling the backs of the paintings. I'm really procrastinating on the little nuances involved with getting my show off the ground. I have 25 days. Sadly, or not, I am a maker of things. This is my strength. I have in the past organized things, taught things, promoted things and even thoroughly produced things, but once I become a maker of things, I find it hard to switch gears. I could probably make anything. Seriously—a dress, a rocket, a stove, you name it. It might look like crap and be unfunctional, but I would enjoy making it.
 My studio bathed in a Bauhaus moment

Abstract painting (in progress)
But back to ennui. In an effort to dodge the tedium of constructing an inventory for shipping, labels for postcards or my email announcement,  I devoted my weekend to updating my website and reconnecting with twitter. I saw a tweet from @longshotmag calling for submissions on the theme of comeback, and so I thought I'd whip up a bit of black humor describing my summer in 300 words or less, since for all practical purposes, I am ready for a comeback. There was a 24 hour deadline. I made the deadline, uploaded my file, and got a confirmation email, followed by a server error email. Long story short, nada. I can either assume they didn't get my riveting story of death and despair in Nashville, or that they thought it sucked. Either way, I was too tired to do much else other than putz aimlessly around the house the next day. A lunch date was canceled, throwing me even further into an abyss. I repacked the boxes in the hallway and gained a few cubic feet of floor and air space. I installed one track light in the studio. I made a vegan quiche and worked on a knitted a skirt I started three years ago. I call these my divorce skirts. It's the second item I began knitting while married, and continued to knit while getting divorced. Both are skirts. The first one was finished almost 10 years after I started it, so technically I finished it while happily remarried, which  means that there's a slim, but very doubtful chance I could meet someone, get married and finish skirt #2  with husband #3, but I don't think so, especially since I plan on making it a shorter skirt.


I thought Sunday might be more productive, but it wasn't, and today was a total bust because Sears bungled my repair appointment and rescheduled it for the afternoon. Total cabin fever at this point. I was going to drive down to Atlanta to see a friend's show this week, but there's too much to do after being The Great Lethargo all weekend.

After I get back from L.A. I have to pull the trigger and take care of some home repair things. Or maybe I should do it now. It will be autumn here. I'm very excited about that. Fires in the fireplace, tweed, and reading. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to a totally structured schedule in the studio and am close to nailing one down.

Meanwhile, I came across this event called Drawing America: The Neighborhood Big Draw.  If I can pull it together, I may organize something here.

So much for 140 characters.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.