September 04, 2010

On artist statements:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-grant/are-artists-statements-re_b_701604.html
That's it for me. No more statements. All the good ones are taken anyhow:
"Painting relates to both art and life. Neither can be made. (I try to act in that gap between the two.)" -Robert Rauschenberg
Or this one:
“Strange though it may sound, not knowing where one is going—being lost, being a loser reveals the greatest possible faith and optimism. To believe, one must have lost God; to paint, one must have lost art."-Gerhardt Richter, The Daily Practice of Painting
Or this one:
"Do, or do not. There is no try" -Yoda, Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back







1 comment:

Chris Rusak said...

Richter is full of zingers. I read his journal entries from the past fifty years, particularly early in his practice, and his positions often shock me. This loser quote was one of them that dropped my jaw.

Have you seen the updated version of the book, Writings 1961-2007? It's pretty delicious.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.