August 25, 2010

The Palette finds its way onto the Grolsh site


I should get crackin' on part 2.

In between all the prep work and catch-up I'm not doing, I'm realizing just how important, nay critical, social networking is for me. Although I was a hermit in LA, I could at least feign real life interaction easily enough by jumping on my bike and seeing a bunch of shows, or setting up a studio visit without much ado. Social networking was a way to fill in the gaps socially- a way to build an artist community with people outside my physical boundaries, meaning I didn't actually rely/depend on the Internet to see artwork. Here, in my new, smaller real world, I'm grasping my Wacom pen a bit more, and I'm having to be more proactive about finding and meeting other artists and seeing work that inspires or challenges me. I just got back from doing a studio visit with Kit Reuther at her sculpture studio where she was working on some sculptures for an upcoming show. I was familiar with Kit's paintings, but the sculptures were fairly new. She had some small ones on a shelf and I started getting excited about sculpture. On my way out I met Dane Carder whose studio was also in the building. Dane's a painter. I only got a quick peak at his studio. I totally spaced on taking pictures while at Kit's.
Dane Carder's studio, Nashville

Dane happened to be giving away cans of house paint. I picked up a nice periwinkle blue. His brother took a Spanish class from my mom. Kit's cousin is a first generation ex-boyfriend of mine. Nashville is a small world, but so is the art world in general. The building was quite fabulous. Even the studio spaces are within six degrees of separation. In a former life, the building was a hosiery factory. When I was a kid, I remember being dragged there to stockpile discount undergarments, lingerie and pantyhose. I had studio envy. I miss being around a community of other artists. There's a space available in the building. I'm thinking about it, but I'd miss waking up and painting in my vintage nightgown while having coffee out of my equally vintage Romper Room cup. I'm really trying to embrace this suburban studio thing.

My garage/studio door did not open today, therefore I couldn't get the Moto Guzzi out. And for this, I am forever thankful that my mother believed in the Sears Warranty program. They will be coming out next week to fix it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should consider doing some sculpture.It gives you a break from painting and you will still be doing art.
KB

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.