February 02, 2009

As promised, but shhh, it's a secret.



I'm 99% sure these are now complete. They're for the SMMoA exhibit and fundraiser to be held in May. This is the 3rd year I've been invited. The reason I say, shhh, is because technically all the work is anonymous until after it's purchased. The point being that one is suppose to trust their instincts and just buy what they like, but really, everyone gets there early to try and score the Ruscha or the Baldessari etc. THEN, after the superstar work is gone, it's a feeding frenzy. Sadly, some work never gets purchased. I arrived late one year and really wanted to buy something- money burning a hole in my pocket, want to buy something. Couldn't do it, and I am a champion of crap and slacker art...

I'm pretty sure no one's going to remember these paintings from this post and then spot them at at the museum 3 months from now, but still, no sense in spoiling the fun. The purchase price at the museum is $300 + $100 to get in the door.

I'm a stickler for detail, especially with the watercolors, but until my glasses come back with their new lenses, I don't want to add any more detail. I was thinking about this as I was painting them, because when laying some lines down, I was surprised how accurate I was. I felt like I was relying on spatial sense rather than actual sight. (The optometrist said I had "textbook eyes" except for the presbyopia, so that made me feel really good.) Then, the next day, I received a link about a blind painter in Turkey, born without eyes, and this confirmed my instinct.

Oh, and how lame is this: I don't want to give them a good title since no one will see the title until after it's purchased, and obviously, then only the purchaser. How truly selfish of me. I will of course give them a fine title, but not right now. I'm laughing at how utterly rude and self-centered I am. Jeesh. grow up.

3 comments:

Carla said...

I really like all these gouaches/watercolors you've shown lately.

M.A.H. said...

Thanks Carla. If someone offered me a 9-5 job painting small watercolor/gouaches everyday for the rest of my life, I would definitely consider it. : D

Steven LaRose said...

I just posted that Turkey guy on my facebook page. Wild. I too love these paintings of yours.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.