February 17, 2009

A good omen.

Yes. Got the class.

How things happen-

Shortly after moving to LA, I quit/left/abandoned/was no longer needed in the high stakes world of commercial film editing. Not having painted in about 7 years, I decided to fritter away 6 months of savings and dive back into painting. After 6 months of being in the studio, I also resumed my slightly non-existent search for teaching positions. (After grad school, I had my proverbial résumé foot walking toward two doors, commercial post-production and academia. The world of post-production hired me first and that was that.) Moving along then, after I left post-production, people with nothing better to do than ask stupid questions would ask me why I left commercial film editing to teach part-time at a community college, since it was assumed my pay would be minuscule compared to the pot of gold and endless rainbows in the post-production world. (Sorry, that was a tangential rant having nothing to do with the story.) I digress. Anyway...

Yawn. I know, like what does this have to do with today? My second studio in LA was in Mar Vista and housed about 10 other artists' studios. And in that studio was a woman who is a classically trained painter, who now runs her own art academy here in LA. And it just so happens that as a classically trained painter, she was looking for an abstract painter to teach an on-going abstract painting class founded on a historical approach to abstract painting. And since I am now a hustler of money and culture, I talked to Cheryl this afternoon and voilá, got the gig. The space is wonderful and I'm thrilled to be working with her. And ding ding ding, it's 2.7 miles from my house, aka 7 minutes, which in LA is a HUGE coup. My work is pretty much the antithesis of her work, and she seems to be thrilled about that as well. (I always think it's funny when people who could literally paint my ass in a corner are enthused about my work.)

It's only one class to start, but she seems terribly excited and is already thinking of expanding to two classes a week.

I now need students. 7-14. Spread the word, peeps.

Timing is good. Yay.

7 comments:

Carla said...

Wow, that sounds ideal, congrats. Nice to hear some of your background too.

Steven LaRose said...

Three cheers!

even word veri is excited =

bomerail

Karen Jacobs said...

Sounds great! What a fun and fitting assignment!

Carla said...

Off-subject, but are there any anagram wizards here? I'm pretty sure we're receiving some messages with these rich new vowel-enhanced word veris.

plamm! (I added the exclamaation)

Carla said...

perhaps the birth of AI right here on blogger?

comenana

Tracy Helgeson said...

Congrats Mary on the double coup, close by teaching jobs are always very handy. But you will keep painting right?

lediant - must mean something, right?

Oops, it rejected my interpretation

new one is multria

M.A.H. said...

Thanks, and oh dear God, yes, of course I will- and am still painting!!!!! It's only one more class (and it still has to fill, which I think it will.) Plus, it's an opportunity to introduce my work to some new folks. Just need to have a bit more of a steady cash flow coming in the door now that I'm a single mom. : O

(Fang is 11, but I heard somewhere that dogs are emotionally as mature as the average two-year old child.)

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.