February 25, 2009

(drum roll)

I will title this later today
7" x 5'
oil on canvas

I worked on it a bit more. See below. I don't have the painting in my little hand right now, so I'm not sure which is the more accurate color/contrast depiction. They were taken outside in an overcast spot, but about 2 hours apart from each other. You'd never believe how anal I used to be about lighting and documenting work- to the point of hiring a professional to shoot work in batches as I completed it. Now I only use a professional if I need exhibition shots. I should take the time for decent lighting and a tripod though.

I still have not titled it.
7" x 5'
oil on canvas

There. A bona fide small oil painting underway, weighing in at 7" x 5". It might still be in progress, but no matter, I'm documenting it at this stage anyway. I will report back later... in this very post.

Apparently I lied earlier when I said I was about stepping away from murky colors.

***
I usually don't sand my canvas down smooth, but I think I shall do that for the next one. I'm still warming up to the idea of this scale, period.

***
[later that day...]
I am now officially enjoying painting this scale. I need to buy some more canvas either tonight or tomorrow. I have another one well under way and 3 more just started.

Life is good right now. Trying to juggle some opportunities. Now through August seems busy. This is good.

7 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

Ask Kristi if we can put on a show together!

Yeah, the tooth is a problem at this scale. Short of sanding (which will expose canvas etc. I chose to apply some think coats of primer, then sand, then final prime. Also the edges are a bitch. I can't frame mine because even cropping a 1/16 of each side can compromise the image. I've spent all today trying figure out what to do. Floating seems the only answer. Next batch I will be making clean sides for mine. That way they can be hung as is.

Can't have a color POP without the murk.

Word veri completes your drum roll with "vatere"

Tracy Helgeson said...

Mary, are you attached to painting canvas? One of the reasons I always work on panel is that I dislike seeing the canvas tooth under my true masterpiece paintings. :)

gueatege

Carla said...

Nice! The color seems pretty fresh to me.

goity? really?

M.A.H. said...

Thanks y'all.

I am rather attached to canvas. I tried panels for a few paintings and don't really care for painting on panels. I don't mind drawing on panel, but just didn't enjoy painting on them. It's been a few years, so never say never. I'll work around a bit and see what happens.

And Steven, I'm just getting warmed up, but I like the idea of a small show. Want to shop it around somewhere else too?

M.A.H. said...

Oh and i meant to address the framing issue. EEK. I don't tape my sides and they ARE messy. I consider the sides of my canvas a histogram, but I don't think people are into that. Here in LA, it seems most painters tape the sides and have pristine edges. I tried to conform, but quickly went back to old habits.

But yep, I'll have to think about the framing thing. This is so old (art) school, but Steven, did you ever wrap the edges with felt weather stripping and then frame them? That way you can let some of the edge show. I may experiment with just the felt weatherstripping, since it's such a hodge-podgy way to go. Plus it reminds me of Joseph Beuys.

Carla said...

Re panels, I don't like the art store panels, they're too slick forme. I always used the softer masonite panels, unprimed from the hardware store.Sand the surface before priming. This makes a fairly toothy surface. Sand again after priming.It has an all-over toothy surface with no obvious grain.

Steven LaRose said...

felt tape? makes sense. still, frames bug me, almost as much as pristine taped off edges. Edges should disappear.

I wouldn't know where to begin shopping? Except, I see loads of colleges soliciting exhibition proposals for their 2010 season.

oh!
have a wonderful word-veri holiday
"eystr"

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.