October 14, 2008

Podcast Synopsis

I'm so into podcasts now.

I linked to Side Street Projects podcast series a few posts ago. Mostly geared toward uber-emerging artists and mostly redundant info if you're over 23, or live and breathe art, but still some interesting POV's. I just listened to Irene Tsatsos, currently, the Director of the Artist's Pension Trust, formerly of LACE, formerly of Whitney Biennial and formerly of N.A.M.E. where I briefly met her through my friend, Mary Claire, who also worked at N.A.M.E., where I did a closed-circuit video performance and received my first review, starting with the great sentence, "My art school training prepared me well for the 'nirvana through monotony, John Cage would approve' style video of Mary Hackett. "Dart Board Maintenance" was the first piece that people got up and walked away from...." Okay, now that I've gotten that 6 degrees of separation out there and relived a minor review from grad school.

Juried shows. I used to tell students that maybe, maybe a juried show was okay just to test the waters, and although I did a few myself, say, when I thought all hope was lost and there was nothing to live for- I think juried shows suck. I am whole-heatedly against artists paying to show their work and I think fees are a big scam. I also think it's mercenary to charge artists for information that can be had for the price of a cup of coffee.

But that's my opinion. And thankfully, Irene and Jon believe this also. The sad thing is that smaller and not so smaller institutions in the hinterlands and people who need to rely on other's opinions seem to place importance on juried shows as if they seriously means something. And in some places, it's the only opportunity for artists. So, I guess it depends on your goals. Or how sad you feel.

D.I.Y. Yes, go D.I.Y! D.I.Y. shows get big points. I am so D.I.Y. at heart. Like, right now, I want to organize a D.I.Y. event! Yes, let's!

Websites
, a good website. Some curators would rather look at a website than a disk. I could probably simplify my website. I hate to choose favorites, so I use my website as an archive or an atlas of sorts. If I had to pick just 10 images, I'd go crazy. So sad, because I'm a good editor. I just think the bigger picture is more interesting for me. My website is too big. I know this.

Auctions. Sure, selectively donate to auctions, but set a reserve price.

The usual stuff about networking and getting out to meet and mingle, except us artists over 30 and 40 get a break from traipsing around parties all night long. Thank God.

Kristi's going to be interviewed in a couple of weeks, so that's pretty cool.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.