October 21, 2008

I had a nice time.

I still get nervous speaking in front of a group of people about my art. I always forget what's currently important and try and remember what was important, which comes out kind of flat, cause in a way it's like remembering what it was like being in love with an old boyfriend, but talking about it after you've moved on. I mean I still seriously LOVE the paintings I made last year, and worked really intensely on them, but it always feels rather scientific to discuss them from a distance. Or I could chalk it up to being socially inept, which is a bit closer to the truth.

Kevin spoke about his work,

then I spoke about my work,

then Eric spoke about his work,

then Lester wrapped it up.

Eric said everything about his work that I wished I had said about mine, but Eric managed to actually express it succinctly. I, on the other hand, recall making some obscure point about how in painting I'm trying to come up with the flavor equivalent of peanut butter and sardines rather than peanut butter and chocolate. Plus I always try and pretend It has nothing to do with formalism and paint. So sometimes under pressure, I'm just a blatant liar.

The weirdest thing- and this happens to me occasionally and it creeps me out, but in an okay way-a woman came up to me almost as soon as I got there and told me she recognized me from my paintings. I was a little confused, because they're not many pictures of me AND my paintings floating around, but she went on explain that she "knew" that my paintings belonged to me and she wasn't able to connect the other artists to their paintings. It gets weirder. After I spoke, she came up to me again and told me my paintings were really self-portraits. And she said it in one of those knowing voices like she knew something I didn't know. Very X-file. It's true of course, but like I'd ever admit that in public.

Big thanks to Kristi & Daniel and Chris.

October 20-November 26: “More Than a Feeling”, contemporary abstract paintings by Lester Monzon, Eric Sall, Kevin Wingate, and others.

Also, turns out that I was the "others"- funny.

1 comment:

Carla said...

The "seeking peanut butter and sardines vs. peanut butter and chocolate" analogy is a really good and accessible explanation.

This looks like a great show.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.