May 08, 2010

This is my studio today.

This is my studio today. 

I have to straighten it up and pack things away by Wednesday to accommodate a large group of visitors. I will be in there all day today. 

Fang hasn't been right since the house painters came in. Barely eating, finicky, etc. He had an infection so he's back on antibiotics and I think Matt fed him too much hamburger meat while I was gone. I found a dry food he eats, but I've had to feed him by hand. 

I saw a video someone made about the flood in Nashville. I'm still in awe of the amount of water and devastation. Even more amazing is that the community found creative and efficient solutions to spread the word about the water supply, deal with the aftermath, and help each other immediately. Before the flood, when I was dealing with the situation with my mom, I kept thinking of a couple of lines from the Baz Luhrmann song, "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen.)" 
"Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft."

I thought about this because after moving from Chicago to L.A., I have become soft. It was a fluke I took my raincoat on this last trip. I never wear a raincoat and I certainly don't carry an umbrella. Walking the big dog in the rain, wearing a raincoat and rain boots I found in the utility room, felt good. I felt like I was on my way to finding a happy medium between hard and soft. 

1 comment:

Elaine Mari said...

I hope Fang perks up soon. I was wondering how he was doing with all the change.

That bit about hard and soft is good. I bike in the rain all winter in Vancouver so I know what you mean about in between.

Good luck with it all.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.