May 07, 2010

Never a dull moment




ART: I’ve lost track of time. I postponed my departure date by 2 days and would have kept postponing it except I had to get back to clean my studio space for a visit with a class from the Skirball Museum next Wednesday. Twenty people. My 4-person show opens at Brand in two weeks. I install next weekend. Right now as I’m precomposing this on an airplane, on my way back from Nashville.


LIFE: The flood was surreal. It just kept pouring down rain. No sudden earthquake, No tornado coming in and out, though there were a few watches and warnings- just torrential rains that did not stop for 2 days. There was a small reprieve of maybe an hour or so between storms. My mom was in the hospital during the deluge, so I went to see her during the day. It was totally trippy to see brown water cascading through the neighborhoods on my way over. They said it was a 500-year flood. Epic. 13 inches of rainfall in 2 days. Four counties in middle Tennessee were declared as a disaster area. I have no idea  the extent of it. I didn't have power for a few days and the internet won't be ready until next week. At one point I considered firing up a candleabrum and reading a 1920's dictionary I found, but I had to muster through the clean-up, which in my special case was not flood-related.

No one I know had flood insurance. My mom’s house suffered only minor damage-a small part of the driveway was torn up a bit and the garage flooded from all the water being channeled through. I think that was the weirdest thing- seeing the water cut it's own path, and watching nature do its thing. The basement flooded, but it’s just a crawl space. I wouldn’t go in there with a ten-foot pole even on a good day. Inside the house, a few leaks,  the house is old and hasn’t been updated, so I feel fortunate that nothing major happened. The creepiest thing was seeing water fill up the large duct of the central ac unit. I got a little paranoid that it would keep filling up and something would swim in the house in the middle of the night, but it receded after a couple of days.  So did the pool. I saw something swimming in the pool. I couldn't tell what it was. My first guess was a miniature loch ness monster- it had a little head that resembled what I imagine a loch ness monster head would look like. but then I went on to either snake or turtle. Mom suggested a chipmunk. If that was the case, I don't think he made it. I absent-mindedly poured myself two cups of coffee one day. I walked palindrome dog in the rain and cleared out a bunch of junk that had been saved over the years. I also saved a bunch of junk that had been saved over the years. Everybody needs an emergency packrat kit, no? It's genetic. I worry. I've sufficiently harassed every nurse and doctor I can to make sure my mom gets proper care. I felt a small sense of accomplishment today when the physician in charge of her case offered his cell phone number to me and said I could call him. I feel better.
I'm auctioning off my 11" x 14" paintings from the ITBICDT project and will donate 50% of all proceeds to The Community Foundation's Disaster Relief Fund to help victims recover from flood damage. http://tinyurl.com/BNAflood 




I added some more strokes to the painting from a few weeks ago. It's back to being a pool. It's still in progress. Obviously.

3 comments:

Carla said...

What a magical realism trip. Gabriel Garcia Marquez in real life. That last photo cuts through the haze pretty sharply though. Thank you for sharing this post.

M.A.H. said...

As usual, I woke up this morning wanting to hit delete.
Thanks.

Karen Jacobs said...

Your experience with flood brings back many memories... our community upriver from NOLA also experienced a 'train effect' flood about 15 yrs ago and since it was surrounded by a levee and the pumps couldn't keep up with it, flooding happened. Our 'high' house included. Wishing you the very best with your mom and your move... we've been there, too.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.