May 16, 2010

Behold! The Great Exhausto!

I'm pooped. I let things slide until the last minute, so (a) I didn't ask anyone to help me deliver the work and (b) although I booked a truck online a couple of days ago, and called to confirm the 24 hr rental, I was later told that the 24 hour rental was only M-Thursday, making my pickup for Friday in order to deliver first thing Saturday moot. This would be why online booking blows. After spazing out on the phone, they secured me a truck at another convenient location. I rode my bicycle ALL the way there-a whopping 2.5 miles away, but heh, it's been awhile and it's L.A. 
Then I trucked it over to pick up a painting that had been on loan at a friend's office, stopped back home to feed the Fang, then drove over to storage to pick up more work; back home, loaded the truck, cooked Fang up some chicken, ordered myself some pho and watched an episode of Lost. After which I made a nice checklist and gathered all the works for another version of I Am Optimistic About the Future. I was exhausted. Around 4:30 am I think we had an earthquake and I didn't sleep well after that. Up at 6:15am, tended to Fang, then rode out to Glendale to deliver the work. When I arrived, I opened the truck to find some kind of high wire balance act going on with all my paintings. NEVER EVER load paintings at the rear of the truck. I should have known better, based on some simple laws of gravity, but  I was too busy being smug about my knot-making skills. Upon arrival, I discovered all the paintings had fallen forward and were suspended mere inches from my bicycle which was laying flat in the truck. It was a miracle nothing snapped or punctured. I am grateful I do not have to hang the work. I go back on Wednesday to to do my wall paintings.  I'm looking forward to that. Sometimes, exhibition prep is enough to make me want to go all Sol Lewitt and just phone in the directions for an artwork.

I was even more tired today. After returning the truck, I bicycled down the street, stopped for lunch, bicycled some more, stopped for my 2 pm cappuccino, and as soon as I got home, I cashed out on the floor with Fang and napped.



Then he heard the mailman, which meant that his nap was over.
He literally has ups and downs. That's all I can say. Sometimes he can walk, sometimes he falls down and can't get up and I have to pick him up, and place him on one of my painting boards topped with his furry throw rug and slide him around the house. Sometimes he hops up the 3 steps to the back door, sometimes he gets stuck and needs to rest a while. Sometimes I give him a boost, sometimes I just spot him. I love that guy.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.