May 25, 2009

Identity Crisis Spurred by Advances in Digital Imaging Technology

I was hoping that the scanner would be high quality enough to document the work. Not even close. I am so lazy. Setting up a tripod and shooting this work should be a no-brainer. I've got procrastination issues. Not titling the work, not shooting the work, all these are symptoms.

I know artists who will NOT show anyone new work until their gallery sees it. Or artists who won't show anyone work until it's hanging in an exhibition. That's not my intention, but I guess I am feeling reluctant to post the work lest it suddenly lose the mystique I've attached to it here in the studio. It might have to do with scale. The large paintings will never be seen full size on a computer screen, at least not this year, or by anyone I know. I have this fantasy that Apple will come out with a life-size iPhone called the iPhone Station. I've roughed out a prototype below:

The new affordable iPhone 'Station', available 2010.

But back to art, the small paintings can be reproduced digitally 1:1 and this is a heart-breakingly deflating experience for me. Seeing the small works full size or larger on a computer screen is even less accurate of a representation than seeing larger paintings reproduced and scaled down. For the first time ever, I think a digital reproduction of my work is a filthy lie. Meanwhile I guess my solution will be to keep with the scaling thing and post small jpegs of them until I figure out a solution. Or maybe I'm just a little grumpy and my perfectionist streak is rearing its ugly head.

And speaking of mystique and enigma. I really like Carla’s Flashback Friday and might even be motivated to have a Flashback Friday myself. I liked what she said about exploring metaphysical/metaphorical imagery. I find myself finally acknowledging words like mysticism, romanticism and metaphysical though I'm still uncomfortable with labels other than 'abstract,' as you shall see below.

I was going to leave the following comment in Steven LaRose's comment section, but it's mostly about me, so I'm leaving it here:

I know. It's inevitable. Labels do help. I have thought of myself as an abstract painter since I first picked up a paintbrush, because that's what I'm interested in. I feel like the word, 'abstract' is fluid enough to cover any territory I enter, as opposed to non-objective, though it might be a ripe time to reinvent the definition of non-objective.

I'll go on a jinx myself and say that I have another studio visit tomorrow. This one is professional, so they won't be cancelling. At least I hope not. If they do, my faith in professionalism will be on it's way to being shot and my belief in superstitions will begin to gain momentum.

1 comment:

Carla said...

Your Iphone station and your last posted line cracked me up.

I was disappointed in how my small "mount" paintings reproduced as scans, they need a single-positioned light source. It does seem more difficult to capture the nature of the smaller work.

Re metaphysical imagery. I think I've become more hardened against anything sentimental these days, and so I don't explore (or think about) imagery with the same elasticity that way I used to. I do think I will again sometime.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.