May 09, 2009

Been working on my hand-eye coordination.


Well, yesterday was a blast, albeit jam-packed. My itinerary in yesterday's post was dead on, except the arrival time at the gun club. Lunch, espresso, carpool activities and Friday afternoon on the Los Angeles Freeway pushed me off schedule an hour.

The gun club was fun. I haven't shot a gun in about 25 years. Not to brag but I hit a bull's-eye on the 3rd or 4th shot. I had a feeling I would. It's a long story, but in grad school when I stopped painting, I spent a couple of months in my studio practicing hitting a bull's-eye with darts. Eventually I did a live-feed video performance at N.A.M.E. gallery in Chicago. I have it on hi-8 tape stock. The camera was focused on me so you only knew by my expressions how I was doing. The performance ended when I hit a bulls-eye. It was a 2-night gig. The first night took about 20 minutes. According to the review, people walked out. I was in a sealed off room, so I couldn't see anyone. The second night, I hit a bull's-eye in about 5 minutes. Conceptual video art is fun, but I'm glad I went back to painting. It's much more of a Sisyphean task. Apparently that becomes me.

All my shipped-back art has arrived. Lovely. The good news about that is that I have a studio visit with the Brand Library & Art Center in a couple of weeks and I had submitted the Tornado Face Drawings as part of my proposal. No bad news, per se, but it would've been nice had more of them sold. I'm really going to try and make some pretty art during the remainder of this year. No more Little Miss Troublemaker with the sharp angles and murky hues. Try, I said.

1 comment:

Carla said...

You just go ahead a try telling Mary Addison Hackett what to do. Good luck with that.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.