August 09, 2013

Two Upcoming Solo Exhibitions


It's been a productive and intense couple of years in the studio and I'm excited to have two shows in September to kick off the fall season. I'm in the middle of compiling the checklists, but roughly, I'll be showing 35 works and 50 studies in two spaces. Insane, you say. I agree.  

I blasted everyone's inbox early because the shows are in Nashville and since most of the fine citizens on my mailing list are not, I couldn't think of a reason to keep it under wraps any longer. I also uploaded the recent work to the website. Major thanks to a group of artists friends for inspiring me with their own work, some virtual & long distance studio visits with discussions about what really matters, and for some disciplined daily practices I've incorporated into my life. Time to wipe down the palette table and pack up the work. I'm looking forward to starting with a clean slate and seeing what's next. Anything is possible.  

If you're able to visit Nashville, or would like to do a studio visit while the shows are up, please let me know and I would be happy to arrange a time to meet. 

image: Faker Than Plastic, 2013, acrylic on canvas, 60 x 48 inches
Shell Game
Tinney Contemporary
August 24 - September 28, 2013
Opening Reception: Saturday September 7th, 6-9 pm
Tinney Contemporary
237 5th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37219
ph. 615.255.7816
contact: Sarah Wilson
In Shell Game, I revisit my relationship with abstraction by incorporating invented flora, patterns lifted from family heirlooms, and carefully constructed layers that shift slightly in color when viewed from different angles. Before studio hours, I had a meditation practice. During studio hours I listened to mashups. In between, I walked the dog and did housework; saw a movie or read a book; took a motorcycle ride and did some yoga or ran. There were a few storms. Trees went down. On and on. 
Gallery Hours: Tuesday through Saturday: 11am - 5pm, and by appt. 
 ************************

image: Le Rayon Vert (Stańczyk), 2013, oil on canvas, 20 x 16 inches

Le Rayon Vert

Leu Gallery
September 9 - October 17, 2013
Opening Reception: Thursday September 12, 5-7 pm

Gallery Talk: Thursday September 12 at 5:30 pm

Leu Art Gallery 
Belmont University
1900 Belmont Blvd
Nashville, TN 37212
Contact: Jessica Owings


In Le Rayon Vert, my focus was on the parameters of painting and the ever-shifting construction of meaning, memory, and representation in my day-to-day life. The paintings in Le Rayon Vert are concerned with ideas about temporality and the absurd. My goal was anti-hierarchical and all-encompassing. I varied my approach by working from memory, direct observation, personal photographs and found images. 
A green ray is an optical phenomena dependent on atmospheric condition that occurs as the sun sets. It’s the last ray as the sun recedes over the earth’s horizon. Jules Verne used it as a plot device in his book of the same name, and Eric Rohmer used Jules Verne’s book as a plot device in his film, also of the same name. I’ve taken liberty with the narrative structure and characteristics of French New Wave Film and applied them to the recent work. Viewed in this way, the paintings in Le Rayon Vert can be seen as jump cuts about perception. 

Kitchen Paintings (#Drifters)
As part of the Le Rayon Vert exhibition, I will be showing 50 studies from the Kitchen Paintings (#Drifters). 

composite image: Kitchen Paintings (#Drifters), 2013, oil on wood, 6 x 4 x 1/4 inches each. 

Last January I set up a cigar box studio in my kitchen and began documenting the wayfaring objects crossing its terrain.

I am offering a selection of them available for sale before the show opens, at www.smallerworks.blogspot.com.  I am emphasizing that in red in case you are skimming. I had sworn off painting really small, but I began these as a casual documentation project and sometime during breakfast while working on #23 or so, I decided to make them available to help fund the studio. They are currently available through my studio, and will be for sale during the show at Leu Gallery at Belmont University.  

As an acknowledgement of your support, (and patience), you can choose to be listed publicly on the wall tag as a lender to the exhibition. I'm doing this in the spirit of experimentation since the show is at a university gallery. My intention is to divert some attention back to people who support me and to demonstrate the micro-economy in the arts that often goes unnoticed. 

Please visit the site in order to purchase, or contact me directly. The studies are oil on hand-cut wood panels and are priced at $200.


No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.