June 08, 2013

Studio Update: A shot of angst straight up with a joy chaser.

I'm currently working on a few different things in the studio. In corner number one, the most arduous group of paintings to date. I'm not gloating about this. No, instead, I have transcribed an old interview with John Currin where he talks about his work and on becoming a figurative artist, and I am making a sign of this to hang in the studio as some sort of beacon of hope, the light at the end of the tunnel, a reminder. In corner number two, the figurative work. Praise be.

John Currin on becoming a figurative artist:

[1:46]
Jeffery Brown: Do you remember what exactly happened when you realized that was the right path?
John Currin: That it (x3) was somewhat embarrassing, but that it was easy, and beautiful, and that I didn't feel angst, I actually felt joy rather than tremendous angst and I realized that's the way an artist should feel when they paint. 

editor's note: Let me repeat that:
 I actually felt joy rather than tremendous angst and I realized that's the way an artist should feel when they paint. 

One the future of figurative painting:
[10: 07] It was never particularly progressive. 
[10:30] One of the joys of figurative painting is that it's kind of hopelessly retrograde and reactionary and it can't really carry a message about the future....it doesn't seem to have that burden.

I love painting and I'm certain there are other factors contributing to the angst. In fact, it very well could be entirely the other factors. Nonetheless, a banner of the above text goes up on the studio wall stat.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.