May 14, 2012

Sometimes, I still can't make the connection.




I had a great day in the studio* yesterday. Long, focused, and productive. I still want to work on the bedspread, and perhaps, the floor without killing it, and the pink pillowcase. It's wrong, but maybe right. 

I started thinking about Morandi when I was in the bedroom. How many still lifes could I paint in there? How many views, how many objects, how many variations? Several years ago, when I was working on the very large abstract paintings, someone mentioned Morandi to me. It thought it was a stretch, but I got it. I am conflicted when I paint these things. I wonder if I shouldn't be out jet-skiing or building an organic pastry garden in my backyard. 

The images for the solo show at John Davis have been posted on the gallery website, and I'll be entering hype mode the next couple of weeks, highlighting a few images here and there.


* I love that I used the word studio without really thinking about it. The bedroom, is not my studio, but apparently studio has come to mean an interior space coupled with a dedicated chunk of time and some raw materials. 

5 comments:

Carla said...

Very exciting group of work. Way too fast slide show timing. "Presence" was a gasper.

M.A.H. said...

Thanks. (It's hard for me to just say 'thanks' without pointing out all my neuroses, but I'm giving it a shot.)

Nomi Lubin said...

Love this bedroom painting.

Organic pastry garden? What the what?

I have to go look at the gallery site now. I know. Shoulda done that first...

Nomi Lubin said...

Oh my god! Holy Buckets.

M.A.H. said...

: )

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.