April 03, 2010

Short sentences, possibly comprehensible.

I am waiting for the Salvation Army to pick up a truckload of stuff.
Bison Beige is a lovely exterior house color.
Sukiyaki Western Django is a beautiful film in some regards.
I will miss my neighbors, particularly Susan, across the street. Every so often when we bake something, we make a little plate of goodies to share with one another.
I will miss Culver City.
I've come up with one word of my next show title.
The house is in total disarray once again after clearing out the kitchen for painting. I checked out and went into the studio.
Painting is soothing to me.
I went to yoga yesterday.
I'm in a slump, but am trying not to care about this. I'm also trying to just remember to keep working and not worry about the results. I'm also trying to remember that my mantra is "Do or do not, there is no try."
They are painting the kitchen now. It's really weird to use my microwave while I'm sitting at my desk. For some reason it makes me feel like I'm in the movie, Brazil.

Michael Brakke
Always Be Tough
Lithograph on Waxed Paper
23 1/2"x35"
1980



My undergraduate mentor passed away last week and I just heard the news. Without him crossing my path, I would not be where I am today. I mean this in the most basic chain of events kind of way. At his suggestion I took a summer painting course he and Hollis Sigler taught at OxBow in Saugatuck, MI. I can't put my finger on specifics he told me about art or painting, other than once at OxBow he sent me on a mission to physically find the space I was painting about. I found it. It was a sunken crater on a hill known as "The Crow's Nest." I napped there that afternoon. OxBow is affiliated with SAIC in Chicago. I met my friends Mary Claire, Howard, Jim, and Mary Ruth there. At the time they were SAIC students. A couple years later I went back for the entire summer to do a residency. A year later I moved to Chicago and became close friends with the artists I had met at OxBow. Jim and I roomed together in Chicago for a very brief period of time. I inherited Jim's cat, Onyx as a result. I also lived in a loft in the same building as Michael and his girlfriend. Sometimes I would consider moving to Saugatuck. Jim did. I lost touch with him, but he set up a gallery and a studio there and I visited him once. At Michael's suggestion, I finally applied to grad school at UIC. I lost touch with Michael after he broke up with his girlfriend who lived below me. After grad school Onyx passed away and I inherited Brock's cat, Fife. Eventually I moved to LA. I just talked to Mary Claire a couple of days ago. Rhea sent me an email telling me of Brakke's passing.

I'm sick of putting things in boxes.
I ate an iced bunny cookie today and called it brunch.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.