April 23, 2010

it's too late

I was trolling through jpegs and came across the middle image as a work in progress. I had a sudden twinge of regret that I continued working on it, even though I like where it wound up. It didn't last long at this stage. I snapped this iphone pic, went inside and within an hour had such a strong urge to "fix" the painting that I couldn't even leave it that way overnight. I'm kind of wishing I had left alone, or I rather I should say, I'm intrigued with the seemingly empty gray-blue space. I'm now questioning why I don't let large expanses of empty space simply be, and wondering if it this is similar to having a hoarding mentality, except that I hoard color and brushstrokes that form things.



Sleight of Hand, 2010


It's too bad these are not three separate paintings. That would have been genius had I realized the title beforehand, but alas I did not.

To be continued...

4 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

For me, they ARE three different paintings.

M.A.H. said...

I know. A few more photographs and I could have a solo show.

M.A.H. said...

I want to correct it again and try to bring it back. Perfectly happy until I came across the middle image. Risky business.

M.A.H. said...

I think I know what I'll be doing this evening: resurrecting it, killing it or angsting about it.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.