April 18, 2010

Round-up

I'm back. Still haven't hooked up Internet in Nashville, so here's a pictorial recap:
The box scoring tool

No, it's not a Flemish still life, not yet, anyway.

It's comforting to know that someone else in my family read Ruskin a long time ago.

Meat products at Kroger

Avon soap dish from the 60's or 70's. I'm going with 60's. 

This was my grandmother's house in East Nashville. I lived here from the age of 3 to 7 or 4 to 6, something like that. I love this house. It's not for sale and I couldn't afford it now even if it were. It's in the hip artsy area of town, which wasn't always the hip artsy area of town. My mom grew up here.


We then move here.

Mom and I had pancakes for lunch...

and drove around town while I looked for studio space. This is the city cemetery. It dates back to 1822. It's not too far from one of the studio space locations I scoped out. The dogwoods are in bloom. 

My 3rd or 4th trip to the city dump. I thought I had lost my shades, but they were under the car seat. I was happy. 

I have a gift of being able to spot 4-leaf clovers almost immediately. I was taught this as a child. 

I am very good at finding them.

I opened up a medicine cabinet and found a soap carving I did of the Nashville Parthenon as a kid. Charming exhibition, is it not?

 
This is mom's best friend, Otto. I call him Nashville Dog or Big Dog. 

He's pretty cute for a rogue beast.


I made a trip to Jerry's Artarama and bought a tiny set of Lukas oil paints. mmm. creamy. Not sure how I feel about that yet. I started a 8" x 10" painting. I tried painting one of the above scenes outside, but got nowhere. This depressed me because I immediately figured my painting mojo was in a dead zone in Nashville. 

I felt better when I decided to paint the slop sink in the utility room  as a substitute for the swimming pool. 


I left it hanging in Nashville. I'll work on again next month. I installed daylight compact fluorescents. It's not ideal, but this will be my temporary mini studio annex once I can make better use of the space. 






When I got back, I discovered someone was slacking on the job. Maybe he was practicing TM.

3 comments:

Carla said...

The meat products at Kroger...yikes

I fantasize about the food choices in LA, and hate to think how that fantasy works in reverse.

Steven LaRose said...

I WANT to say something. I'm so addled I can't get my hands around the thing I'm wanting to say. I think it has to do with a sincere thanks for posting this part of your life.

M.A.H. said...

Those meat products leave a lot of people speechless.

(Thanks. I still question whether I cross the line with TMI and sometimes want to hit delete, but it all fits in somewhere.)

Carla, the good news is that Trader Joe's is in Nashville, and Chipolte Grill. Now, if they would serve Vegan Chicken.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.