September 22, 2009

Um, yeah. I <3 Dave Hickey.

I first saw the link via Eva's feed on FB and spent the last 45 minutes or something watching the lecture on You Tube. SVA asked to have it removed, so not sure how long it will be up for viewing.

I knew there was a Nashville connection with Hickey because my friend, Jennifer's godmother is Marshall Chapman and Dave Hickey is mentioned in Chapman's book, Goodbye, Little Rock and Roller, but it was rather poignant and amusing to hear him make the comparisons or lack there of in a lecture. The lectures are about contentment, ennui, "creativity" and status quo in the art world and in educational institutions.

I started a second* pool painting over the last couple or 3 days. Different angle. I don't know what I'm doing, but I like looking at it from a distance. It's like I totally did not paint either of them and I have no idea why they're in my studio. I moved the first one out of the studio before I could wreck havoc with it and turn it into something else. I'm still working on the second one. I'm thinking about them in their own own context, as well as how they relate hanging next to the other paintings. It's a new and slightly uncomfortable place for me to be-very external but internal at the same time, not to mention, I've now joined the ranks of people who paint pools, which I might add was not anywhere on my list of '100 things to do before I die.'

*3rd if you count the one I did last year

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.