September 21, 2009

I'm too sad to play dodgeball today*

*Lisa Simpson reference

I'm a little glum this morning. I'll snap out of it. It's fall in LA. I was hoping that I could have been sitting by a fire, but that would mean that my fireplace was fixed. I don't see that happening this year. According to the weather, fall in LA means upper 80's today. I had to stop writing this and take Fang for a walk. The sun came out and it's supposed to be 87 degrees today. Perhaps I am premature on pining for a working fireplace.

My priority mail package of studio cast-offs arrived from Mr. LaRose this weekend. I, in turn, have stuffed a Priority Mail envelope full of my own cast-offs, which I hope is as entertaining as the one I received. I will take that to the post office today. I did not make it to openings this past weekend. I had good intentions, always, the good intentions.

I'm working on another application, which means another artist statement. For this one, I'm digging a little further back in my history and finding that I really haven't strayed too much from any of my ideas over the course of the last 15 years. Oddly enough the pool painting hearkens back to some video footage I shot while in grad school. I shouldn't say, "oddly." It's just that the pool footage was only a small portion of the material I shot for a video I made with my mom.

I'm not interested in abandoning abstract painting, but I am interested in the recent painting I just did. The R word confuses me, as does the painting process of working from an image. It feels like cheating. However, because of the subject matter, I now want to crack open some old videos, which were mastered on Hi-8 and Digi Betacam and I have no way of looking at them without renting equipment. Gawd, I love technology. And to think they did away with slides, which required only one outdated piece of equipment to actually view an image.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.