September 12, 2009

I'm still waiting to take that paid vacation...............

For someone who doesn't have a lot of **work** right now, I'm beat. Yes. IT is in the mail. This morning, Fang and I delivered it to our local post office. Then I vacuumed the car, picked up a tripod from storage, raked the yard, did laundry and thought, wow, I never really went on a vacation this week, did I? At which point I picked up the keys and drove to downtown Culver City and saw "District 9."

Tomorrow night is the night of 1000 openings. I'm committing to visiting Carol Es for her open studio and Nancy Baker at Jancar. If anything still happening on the westside after I get back, I'll try and hit that as well. What a liar. Two's about all I can handle, though I'll be in Chinatown, so I'm sure I'll see something else. I discovered Carol's blog back in 2004 or 05 and have secretly admired how hard she works. We have mutual friends in LA, but amazingly have never met. Then one day, after seeing her name pop up on FB for the umpteenth millionth time, I thought oh hell, I'll friend her and introduce myself even though she doesn't know me. Turns out she did know who I was and as luck would have it, she's having an open studio tomorrow night.

Other quick things before I fall asleep at the keyboard-The Beat and The Buzz: Inside the L.A. Artworld arrived in the mail yesterday. I ordered it a few weeks ago. It's the dope on the L.A. art world through interviews with about 25-30 various art world players her in L.A. I had no idea who was interviewed. I knew Tony Berlant was included because his name starts with "B" and because less than a month before I ordered the book, I was at his studio with the FOCA group. But, I didn't know John O'Brien was was one of the interviews and since John shows with Kristi and he curated me into an exhibit this summer and since I think he's a super nice smart guy, I read his chapter first. Bonus track was seeing Kristi Engle Gallery get a mention since John had recently shown with her.

And finally, no rest for the wicked- I start teaching a 12-week drawing class at Otis on Sunday, yes, Sunday, and there's another grant DL to put together. I am on a roll now with this paperwork thing, so I'm striking while the iron is hot.

I WILL take a break soon though. 2 days, is all I need. just 2 days laying poolside in a louge chair somehere hot with a nice room and fluffy white towels. I frigging love hotels.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.