August 22, 2009

Let's see.

In a nutshell:
  • Open house at Otis tomorrow- I give a 10-minute presentation on Drawing Fundamentals.
  • In the wake of the budget cuts, I cleared out my office at El Camino yesterday. 7 years. Poof. Ran into 2 people who I apparently needed to run into. As an adjunct, teaching weekends and evenings can be isolating with no other faculty around, but there's always at least one person in an administrative position who is amazing and I'm always lucky enough to get to know them a bit.
  • Am going to brush up my my editorial skills.
  • I queried the brilliant mind of Steven LaRose for suggestions on portable objects for observational drawing. I've been lucky enough to work at colleges with ample thrift store-esque props. This fall I have to supply my own and transport them in 5 cubic feet of cargo space. I'm beginning to think my life is an art project. And yes, I've read Essays on the Blurring of Art and Life and Seeing is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees.
  • I made a damn good spinach eggless quiche yesterday substituting tofu for egg. Dee-lish.
  • Finished a covert collaborative painting, which I think turned out quite well. Am waiting to hear from the initial collaborator.
  • 3 small paintings in various stages in the studio.
  • Worked on version 2 of my resume.
  • Time to apply for grants.
  • This week's Netflix bounty: Flash of Genius, Revolver.

1 comment:

Steven LaRose said...

I just remembered another one that I've used the last two classes. A spool of wire. Something heavy of a gauge enough to see from a distance but not too thick to bend easily. Before class I make basic shapes and hang from the ceiling in a cluster or pile on a stage like a model. Talk about negative space melt down.

"eputi"

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.