August 19, 2009

I was supposed to go dark, wasn't I?


I've decided to shelve my cutthroat prima donna act and to win fiends friends and influence people the old fashioned way: honey, not vinegar, with just a tad of strychnine, if needed. There. See. All better. Kidding. Just kidding.

I began updating my resume yesterday, the one I use for attracting employment, which is the same one I use for attracting everything else actually, it's just rearranged and the Professional Experience category is fleshed out using action phrases, like, "I designed a syllabus and conducted a class," as opposed to, "The class miraculously taught itself, while I watched in horror."

Then I started thinking about how artists always have pictures of themselves standing in front of their artwork and that I should have something like that as my profile picture. Amazingly enough, my artwork and myself are rarely seen in the same photograph. Suspicious, no? Yes, I thought so too. Anyway, like all my bright ideas, I figured I'd combine one thing with another and I arrived at my new profile pic. It's energy-saving, to-the-point and very efficient. Frida Kahlo meets an Oscar de la Renta dress my mom had when I was a kid. I'm tempted to make more of these while searching for work. The puzzle pieces are coming together.

Good day in the studio too. The joint is cleaned up, most of the floor was repainted and I'm back working on 2 new paintings. I wish I could express how much I love painting. Something new is revealed every single day I pick up a brush. I seriously thought the first batch of these were killer, but 6 months later, I'm wowing myself. I'm not 100% satisfied with how I'm photographing them and that's one of the reasons I'm not uploading them. The other is that I was waiting to debut them for the solo show with Kristi Engle, approximately 394 days away. I may put some of the earlier ones on my website, but I'm not sure. I think I'd like to keep them undercover just a bit longer. Maybe I'll just put a teaser on the website and rotate it out every so often.

Other good news. A check arrived in the mail yesterday as the result of the gallery selling a painting. And since I am now a very positive person, I decided that I would look forward to checks arriving every day in the mail.

3 comments:

Carla said...

I thought Frida Kahlo too.

Fun and funny post. Receieving checks puts me in a good place, and not just for the practical reasons. I like the reassurance that the cranks are in place and working, and I've not slipped off to somewhere in my head. I'm still touching base with reality.

Carla said...

gears, not cranks.

Karen Jacobs said...

Sometimes cranks need to be in place as well... now I don't know whether to end with a smiley ;) or a smirk :/

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.