July 10, 2009

Jolly good.

Trivia: my grandmother's (Father's side) maiden name was Jolly. Annie Lee Jolly. And of course, Annie Lee was pronounced, Annilee. Nice name, Jolly.



Today was a good day. I love studio visits, but I can see why artists have separate viewing rooms built specifically for viewing the work. The taking down works in progress, pulling out works for show, cleaning up and rearranging the furniture so that peeps can get an unobstructed view is time-consuming. This is not new news. It's old news. The studio is essentially down for a day because I'm usually too lazy to go in and strike the set and get back to the mess right away. Like right now, I could be painting, but instead have decided to write about what a dreadful chore it is to show work to people who love art. I am SO being sarcastic. Of course, it's NOT a chore and I love it. I'm just telling you how lazy I can be after I clean up the joint. (Okay, so maybe I'm more antsy to work than I let on- after my official guests had left, I pulled out those 3 small paintings in the foreground of the picture above to show KE some works in progress.)

To backtrack, Kristi had set up a studio visit with a couple interested in some of the larger paintings. My friend, Jason, was kind enough to let us view a painting on loan in his office on the 14th floor of the Condé Nast building. Afterward, we caravanned over to my impeccably organized studio and I showed them a few other paintings. After everyone left, I took ole Fuzzy Face for a walk, fixed us both some dinner and told Fang we were the most boring couple on Earth. Creative and smart, but boring.

3 comments:

M.A.H. said...

And stop me if you've heard this before, but tomorrow's fun-filled day consists of finishing THAT paperwork, and reconciling bank and credit card statements.

OMG, my own word veri was "meanies." LOL.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Way cool to see a grouping of your paintings as well as the scale which is always bigger than I imagine;)

Carla said...

Yes, the in situ is always great to see. In the early 1980s I did a small 3-painting series called the "Meanies", have no pics, though.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.