December 26, 2013

OPS Studio Notes 12.26.13

I'm not scheduled for field work until after the New Year, hence Studio notes. I'm not sure why I've justified the messy and time-consuming process of actually making my own linen panels from scratch, but indeed, this is what I have been doing among other end of the year tasks. In preparation for my project (OPS) I had already cut, primed and sanded a half sheet of birch ply. I was ready to go. But no, not good enough. I suddenly needed these panels to be linen. Fair enough, but why the 1/4" panels? Why not just go on and stretch them on stretcher bars? Good question. Theoretically, these are supposed to be studies, only they're not. They are alla prima paintings. I figured if I kept them on flat panels, I'd be more spontaneous. Mind games.

I also think it was a ploy to prolong the inevitable year-end avalanche of paperwork.
They've turned out quite nicely.

Step 1: Cut panels
Step 2: Prime wood
Step 3: Cut linen, allowing about 1/2" for overlap 


Step 4: I used Gac 100 to glue the linen to the primed wood. 
Step 5: Working fast, squeegee out any air bubbles on front and back and wrap edges neatly on back. 
Step 6: Clamp or weight linen panels, preferably overnight.
Step 7: Gesso linen. Two coats.  Allow to dry between coats.
Step 8: Lightly sand.
Step 9: Apply a third coat of gesso and sand, if you are picky. If you're like, whatevah sister, that's a bunch of friggin work for your silly ass au plein air panels, then you can skip steps 2-9
I FINALLY sutured an old Gap Sweater that unravelled several years ago after only three months of normal use. At that point it became a favorite studio sweater. I love it even more now and consider it now fit for public outings. 


No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.