March 12, 2012

Before I forget, DeKooning to Guston:

I keep forgetting this quote and yet I love it. It took some searching to find it again. It's on iTunes under the National Gallery of Art podcast on Philip Guston.

Context: When Guston returned to the figure at the height of his critical success as an AbEx painter, he was dissed by most of his contemporaries and the critcs. Notable exception being DeKooning. DeKooning got it, and in the podcast Guston quotes DeKooning as saying to him, “What did they think? We're all on a baseball team?"


Fabulous, right? Oh so fabulous.

3 comments:

Nomi Lubin said...

Very very fabulous. Never heard that before.

M.A.H. said...

I first heard it out in LA. I forgot when or where, but I have always loved it.

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting i've been looking for the ref :)

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.