February 01, 2010

Today is a studio day, but first....

An online arts journal, called Nashville Critical recently started up with something of a call to arms in defining what's critical in Nashville. Having moved away from Nashville about 20 years ago partially due to a lack of professional exhibition opportunities, I felt compelled to contribute.


Addendum: (To clarify- when I say a lack of professional exhibition spaces, what I really meant to say, was that there were only one or two commercial galleries in town. Didn't want anyone to get the impression that there was a plethora of non-professional spaces in town, or that there was a total dearth of professionalism. Just not many spaces, period. Why, back in the day, there weren't even coffeehouses, and I had to grind my own pigment and chop my own wood.)


I'm tired of thinking.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Well-written essay. I like how this blog is addressing head-on the notion of criticalness in art. If Nashville is anything like Indianapolis in art politics, that's pretty brave.

M.A.H. said...

Thanks Carla. I hope it keeps developing.

And Elaine, thanks for dropping in over there too.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.