January 01, 2010

Day One of My Favorite Decade

This is not really a list of goals, or resolutions, more like a broad outline, but I wanted to get something down on Day One of My Favorite Decade. To see how I fared last year, go here.


First on the list is my health. According to the Holmes Rahe stress scale, I'm skating on thin ice. For some reason, there's a two-year window on these events. Therefore—


I am grateful for my health, but I've been lucky. I was totally erratic with any sort of exercise routine this year. The YMCA is literally around the corner from me and I still couldn't drag myself over there with any sort of frequency. When the pool re-opens on January 4th, I will be there. My mom, bless her heart, thinks tossing the ball with her dog is exercise. I need to be diligent, lest one day I find myself rationalizing that walking from the studio to the espresso machine constitutes a cardio workout. It could happen.


I went to a yoga class yesterday, possibly my first in over a year. Goda Yoga in Culver City. I've been going there on and off since they opened. Being the new decade and all, I used my KCRW membership to get 15% off a package of 10 lunchtime classes. Yesterday's class was 1. 5 hours. It was heaven. Not coincidentally, the focus was on balance poses. Still not coincidentally, I was a little rusty with some of the seemingly simple balance poses. I need more balance and flexibility in my life. I'm committing to two classes a week in January along with a daily practice at home.


I have 4 canvases stretched and 3 paintings in various stages in the studio. One flower, two pool.

I continue to be engaged with the small-scale abstractions. Toward the end of 2009, I began working with new imagery that is extremely personal- the abandoned pools, and possibly flowers, though not so engaged with flowers yet, we'll see. I'm still using abstraction, but pushing it a bit more toward representation. I'm working with some of the same themes, (architecture, landscape, memory) but the melancholy factor is fairly high. The titling department went on strike last last year, but we negotiated a salary and I think we've found a number we call all live with. I anticipate re-titling the paintings that the scabs have titled, Untitled. (Slackers.) I have no idea what's in store for next year. Just when I start working with a limited palette and representational imagery, I become even more enamored with gestural abstraction. Wendy White, Kris Chatterson and Jered Sprecher are three artists whose work I'm currently digging.


At some point in time, the word creative got a bad rap and I tend to associate it with soccer moms who scrapbook, but nonetheless, I am thankful that I am creative. I have several ideas for new paintings, an installation, a book, and a large-scale project that can best be described as an enterprise. I would also like to write some essays. Never mind, I already do that. I would like to publish some essays. Never mind, I already do that. I would like to get paid to publish some essays. In addition, I will continue to experiment in the studio. As Churchill said, "Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." He also said, "We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glow worm." I like that one too. Churchill, my man for 2010.


With regard to exhibitions, I've got a few shows lined up for 2010, and was recently asked to juror a National Watercolor Society exhibition next spring, but I'm already looking to line up shows for 2011 and beyond.


Which brings me to—


I'd like to exhibit the new works in a show outside of Los Angeles. I'm thinking an island somewhere on the east coast would be great, but other areas of the country would do nicely as well. The paintings are small. They're spectacular. They ship easily. I estimate an entire solo show could be shipped for under $30 anywhere in the USA. Email me. Let's talk. I'm still working on a succinct statement and titles for the new work that's not voyeuristic or uncomfortably personal, but something a little meatier than, "I like to paint," which I might add, is what it always boils down to. I mean seriously, I'm riding the motorcycle on the 405 today going about 80 mph and I'm thinking about brushstrokes. I shouldn't be thinking about brushstrokes at 80 mph. At 80 mph, I should be thinking I'm a ninja road warrior.


Here's hoping everyone has a healthy, prosperous, and productive New Year!


I love you 2010 and we just met.


No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.