April 03, 2009

Rough around the edges

I probably should not post when I am in fear. I keep forgetting that the blog is available for anyone with a search engine.

***
But more about me... I had a second studio visit yesterday, showing the small paintings. It went well and I got some good criticism that I'm mulling over: Lose the cheap canvases. (Note: the carton of 30 I ordered, just arrived the other day.)

Prior to circa 2005, I would have scoffed at store-bought canvases, even the "professional or museum profile." In fact, I've always found the museum profile rather ridiculous, as if we need those extra 3 inches raised off the wall to make it a "serious" painting. Okay, you see where this is going; I started embracing the slacker aesthetic of cheap, store-bought canvases and their candyass 3/4" profile. So after paying my dues by building my own, coupled with the apparent difficulty I have with precision, perfection and power tools, I stepped over to the dark side. And from a practical standpoint, it also has to do with economics and my need to keep painting. (See various posts where I speak of not painting for 7-ish years in the 90's.)

So here I am mulling over materials and craftsmanship, again. Crazy how this happens. I swing to a point where I'm trying (it's a fine line here, so bear with me) to make the crappiest paintings on earth using the most godawful colors I can not think of, and I wind up making these tiny paintings that I'm packing with attention and detail, AND now I need to entertain the idea of using quality materials and stretching my own canvas or....linen. LINEN. I love linen. Linen is linen. What painter doesn't love linen? But have you ever tried to disrespect a linen surface? It's hard. Tough Love.

I unpacked the box of store-boughts, ordered some linen on sale, am tearing off the canvas and getting ready to stretch my own.

NO FEAR.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.