April 16, 2009

Apparently when I'm anxious...

While procrastinating on a variety of fronts, I came across a blog I irregularly check-in on. The blogger had announced that one needed to submit a request in order to read the more diaristic posts about everyday life, otherwise readers would only be able to read the art-related stuff.

I attempted to keep my blog about the nuts and bolts of working in the studio but that didn’t last long. Not that my life outside of art is exciting, or that I even have a life outside of art- it's just that I doubt I could devote an entire blog to exclusively discussing the actual logistics of making a painting. But never say never.

I envy artists whose studios look professional and orderly. On the other hand, I take comfort in knowing I am not alone in my wonky studio habits. I once heard Dave Muller speak about his practice as an artist. He confided that his studio was in the garage, which he shared with a washer and dryer and that he didn't have a studio assistant. He's rather high up on the art food chain, so it was refreshing to hear. I also got a glimpse of Raymond Pettibon’s studio in a video interview and it was totally trashed out. It takes all kinds.

I came across some old shots of my studio. The black and whites are from one of my Chicago studios (I had 5. I moved quite a bit.) and the color one is from my undergraduate studio cubicle in Knoxville. The gouaches are from the same studio as the black and white photographs. I am one of those artists that kept making work in spite of myself.

Undergraduate studio in Knoxville. circa 1983.

Post-undergraduate studio in Chicago. Early 90's. I applied to grad school with this work-the paintings, not the mess on the floor.

Post-undergraduate studio in Chicago. Early 90's. It's funny that I even owned a vacuum.

Portraits of stuff in one of my last studios in Chicago. Early 90's

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.