April 15, 2009

Change is good

I changed the title of my smaller works blog. It used to be called, Smaller Works on Paper. It's now called, Smaller Works & Other Not So Smaller Works For Sale, Lease or Barter. I am my own WPA. It's a bit lengthy, but WTF, it's accurate.

I have 4 works in Nashville that did not sell during their exhibition debut, and have been sitting in their respective crates in a storage room since 2005. The gallery closed last year and since hope springs eternal, I hung on to any mention of an interested party. Fast forward to now: I have a client friend who want to lease some artwork for his office and he picked one of the Nashville paintings for his top 7. Long story short, I now need to remove all the paintings out of the gallery's storage unit asap. Aside from the cost of shipping, which the gallery was initially responsible for, but is now unable to cover, there's the issue of crates and storage on my end. Bottom line: The new mini-me is working small and has successfully detached from some of the larger works- but not detached enough to roll them up. No, just detached enough to take them out of the gallery system and make them available for rental, set dec, etc etc. Hence, the new blog title. If they don't sell, lease or trade off within a couple of weeks, I will be detached enough to roll them up, but not now.

***
And FYI, today was a wash. I inexplicably became quite ill within 3 sips of my morning coffee. If I hadn't been sober since 2004, I would have thought I was in the middle of a Class V hangover. I had a migraine/eye headache 2 days ago. Then yesterday was post-migraine. Apparently today was post post migraine. I've never had the after effects last 2 days, but indeed that's what happened. Warning signs were headache, weird sneezing and feeling suddenly shaky, followed by some projectile action, followed by more shakiness and a sense that portions of the room and furniture were slanted. Nice. My recovery plan entailed snacking on a jar of sauerkraut and drinking hot chocolate throughout the day.

At 2 pm some students from Oxnard College came out to interview me. They put up a video camera and asked me questions. I have no idea what I said or how I looked. I had the new paintings up and almost didn't want them photographed since they're so new, but said okay. I mean, what would be the point of saying no? Plus I never want to be an artist that has trade secrets. I'm fairly transparent. I like that about me.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Sauerkraut as comfort food? Sounds like you were hit with a sudden doozy, but good of you to put out for the video...here's to letting the chips lie where they fall.

Steven LaRose said...

mmmm
sauerkraut and chips. . .

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.