March 06, 2009

um, nevermind.

I'm back from Nashville. Saw a painting show at The Frist called Paint Made Flesh. My mom looked at the Albert Oehlen painting and noticed that his work looked like mine. ; ) (I hope my wink smiley face comes across.) Traded a drawing for some fine dining at a restaurant and other than that, just did some work around the house.

No motorcycle riding. 1) the bike didn't start even though it's been on battery tender and even though it has a new battery and 2) it was cold.

The abstract class I was excited about teaching is up in the air now. I have some previously scheduled shows/projects that are just now confirming and my summer drawing class is an intensive, so it seems there may be a conflict in trying to schedule a routine class. Trying to be open and available for everything is a problem especially when dates can't be locked down and so there may or may not be a workshop, and there may or may not be a class..... Sometimes these things happen for the best. I should know better. When ever I get really excited, I always have a moment of, "but wait..." I had that moment.

Wow, this was kind of a whiny post.

Okay, I'll end on a funny- Here's an email from a student in my drawing class. Let me preface it by saying I teach a 6 1/2 hour drawing class on Saturdays.


Dear Professor Hackett:

My name is ______and I have been out sick with the flu. I missed Monday and today. Would you mind if I attended Thursday's class to make up for today's absence?

I am a ________and I am taking your class to help me with the design of _______. After the last assignment I am not sure if your class is right for me. It seems like a lot of drawing.

I really like your energy and the fact that you interact with your students. I know I can learn much from you but I'm just not sure if the class format will meet my needs.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.