August 10, 2008

Technically it was supposed to be a no-tech day

I keep thinking I'll set aside Sunday as a day to eschew technology, but after renting a 10-foot truck to bring home unsold paintings from a show, I will admit I wasn't exactly feeling super special and was in fact, leaning toward feeling a tad bit sorry for my sorry-ass self. I'm not going to blame the economy, myself, or any of the myriad of reasons I could manufacture, because to do so would ultimately invite self-scrutiny and I know where this goes, so I will share: self-scrutiny leads me to thinking two evil-ass thoughts- what's wrong with me, and what can I do to make my paintings sell like hotcakes? It's a silly and pointless question considering my current mission is to make the best ugliest paintings I can, so, perhaps self-sabotage is my problem. Anyway, it's an evil thought that occasionally plagues me because I tend to feel like I'm stuffing a square peg in a round hole day in and day out. Of course, I do find enjoyment in this, so I really can't complain.

But back to Lo-tech Sundays. I also try to avoid working in the studio on Sundays, simply because of that Sunday Painter cliché, so that leaves me with recreational activities such knitting, leather tooling, woodburning, sewing, reading, baking, socializing or I guess for lack of a better word, research and education. Or nap.

Which led me to fall asleep during an exceptionally boring lecture called, CrackBerrys: Exploring the Social Implications of Wireless Email Devices, after which I became mildly interested in listening to a Robert Storr interview. Which, in turn, prompted me to check out some You Tube videos about Thomas Nozkowski. And thus I was reminded how easily I'm inspired and how lucky I am to love what I do.

FYI, I am now hooked on The Wire. Trying to keep it down to 2 or 3 episodes a night.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.