August 04, 2008

If John Zorn can do commissioned work, so can I.


I don't actually do "commissioned" work, so it hasn't been much of an issue, but lately I've been asked to put together a couple of bids. I probably should be more internally conflicted about this, but I am not. I've finally realized why I'm not a snob about this anymore. One, I have no plans to paint differently than I usually do, so it's not like I'm going to bang out something less than stellar or try and split myself into fine art me vs. commercial me. Screw that, it's too difficult. Two, I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to finding a "job." And three, I work quickly, which reminds me of the saying, Fast, Good, Cheap, Pick 2. So, in the end, I'm okay with it because it's not a compromise, and because I've learned what 2 parts of the triangle I'm comfortable with. Plus, if Zorn can cut kick-ass tracks for Nike, then I can take on a commissioned work, too.

And another little thing I heard, which I really liked a lot, "You get up early in the morning and you work all day." - Philip Glass revealing the only secret he has.

Tonight's post was kind of about work ethics, wasn't it?

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.