March 09, 2014

Time to Make the Biscuits or How to Turn an Idiom into a Habit.

I'm in the South now so I'm riffing on the phrase, "Time to Make the Donuts." Donuts are fine of course, but in the early morning hours, I've been perfecting a biscuit recipe before heading to the studio. And becuase I am loathe to adjust to the "new" Daylight Savings Time, early morning is subjective. My biscuit to paint/work analogy doesn't stop there. Allow me:
  • Painting: My goal lately in the studio has been to work intensely and quickly as possible in order to capture that thing in front of me in a single day-long painting session. A lofty goal. I'm not anywhere close.
  • Biscuit-making: Sure, it borders on an act of treason, but I fired up the Cuisinart today.
  • Painting: I altered my medium.
  • Biscuit-making: Sure, it borders on an act of treason, but I'm working toward vegan biscuits.
That's it. I'm out of analogies for now and I have four paintings that have been lingering in various stages of almost doneness. Time to make the brushstrokes.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.