June 29, 2011

wind. caution. throwing.

The day before yesterday was a disaster in the studio. Nothing stuck. Paint went down, paint wiped off. Paint went down, paint wiped off. I am reluctant to walk away from the studio, without anything to show for it, so I guilted myself into staying and and repeating this sad cycle over and over until I could no longer take the defeat. In reality, nothing is ever wasted. These kind of days happen. I don't know why and I am grateful not very often, but I know that that do. As a precaution though, I took yesterday off. My mind needed to wander. I did some yard work until I either killed my weedeater or ran out of line. Hopefully, the later. I forgot what else I did yesterday. Oh right, yes, the other side of the coin: some business, lite. And lemons. Fresh lemonade and a run.

Today I was back in the studio. No, I did not paint all of these in one day. Today was simply a productive, calm, and clear-headed day in the studio- and with relative ease, I deemed all of them finished today. Weed-eating is apparently a twofer.








There is a symmetry to the work. I think it's obvious, but then again, I'm on the inside, looking out, looking in.

Proposed titles:
First Winter, 2011, oil on linen, 10 x 8 inches
Mirror #1: We Can Hardly Contain Ourselves, 2011, mixed media on canvas, 20 x 16 inches
Mirror #2: Leitmotif, 2011, mixed media on canvas, 20 x 16 inches
Mirror #2: Obfuscation, 2011, mixed media on canvas, 20 x 16 inches
Self-portrait with Plates, 2011, oil on linen, 10 x 8 inches


The usual disclaimer: shot with an iphone. I need to make a date to document the recent work.

2 comments:

Carla said...

These are excellent, and group together in an interesting way.

M.A.H. said...

thank you. my perceptions of boundaries are melting away.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.