June 21, 2010

Will someone remind me why I'm sweeping silt and sifting through moldy textbooks from the 30's instead of renting a crappy studio?

I'm feeling twitchy from not painting. I am making progress cleaning, but it's hard to tell.
True confession #1: As some of you may know I have been moving and packing stuff at one place or another since mid-March. I'm over it. The deadline is gone, but I still need to clear space for my stuff when it arrives. In a moment of "quick what else can I throw out NOW, I grabbed 2 large paintings from my art school days- like the very first ones I did-and instead of ripping them up first, I just loaded them on the van, stretchers and all. They weren't bad paintings, but I have been feeling particularly unsentimental and overwhelmed about the generations of stuff I have to sift through around here. Art I did in kindergarden, high school, and college is no exception. And yes, my mom kept everything I made. Everything. So I get to the dump and as one of the workers unloaded the van, he commented what a nice painting it was and he kept it. I didn't tell him it was mine. It was a nice painting, but a) it was student work, b) I wasn't going to show it and c) I wasn't going to sell it. I'm kind of glad it didn't actually go in the dumpster, but I still feel strange, like maybe I should have hung onto it for posterity. Meanwhile, I'll have to take solace in the fact that some guy who's job is hauling trash has a decent piece of contemporary art on his wall and is probably chillaxing with his feet on a coffee table he also rescued, smoking a fatty and drinking a can of beer. I'm cool with that. I think it was also signed. oops. I shouldn't be so rash.

By end of week I want to post some new work, which would mean I need to make new work. I could probably find 6 cubic feet of relatively "clean" space to work in. I have paints, I have a couple of brushes and I have canvas. I kept thinking about Pollack today. He worked in a barn. I haven't visited the PK studio, but historically artists have hardships and less than state-of-the-art studios. I should be able to work around a few buckets of silt, spideys, and termite-eaten wood, yes?

I'm tired and going to bed. A friend asked me if I was scared being in this house by myself and I said no, not with two dogs, but monster truck dog just whined and it sounded like a door opening and I jumped. Fang is holding steady and even eating dog food again. The guy is like a supersoldier.

1 comment:

Elaine Mari said...

sounds like you are far away and exploring the long ago.

that fang, loves him from afar.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.