June 16, 2010

Day one: Welcome to Suburbia + Teaser: My paints arrived.


I should not be blogging. I should be calling a roofer, sorting through stuff, writing thank you notes or anything else on the Endless Summer To-do list. In one of those, why-don't-the-number-of-hot-dogs-and-buns-ever-equal-out moments, my watercolor brushes arrived, as did my oil paints. The dog hospice mobile made it safe and sound, but his highness didn't have such a great day today. I picked up the Monster Truck dog from the kennel and he got a good report card from this kennel. It's waaay on the other end of town, so much so, that it's in another town. I had to wash the car.

I did manage to teach myself Final Cut Pro late one night when I should have been packing and have cut the 1st installment of The Palette video. Stay tuned.

Remind me not to take electricity for granted. 

I'm trying to get better at tooting my own horn and was recently told by an artist/curator in LA that now was the time for me to be egocentric. I think he meant this in a good way, like in a, don't-get-lost-in-the-suburban-life, kind of way. I'll stop using long sentences that require hyphens while I'm at it. I trimmed hedges today. I can't even begin to tell you all the life stuff that needs to be done. Trimming hedges seemed doable. Repairing and refinishing wood floors, putting on a new roof and upgrading electrical seem daunting. As do a million other things.

I found this dress in a drawer. The pattern is butterflies and it's hand-sewn, so I'm guessing my Nana made it. It's too big, but works รก la David Byrnes big suit. It's my new summer work uniform. I've decided to make the garage the studio and will clean it out this weekend. I have no idea whatsoever what the new work will be like. I still need to wrap up the previous current work for the show this fall.



3 comments:

Carla said...

I'm a little envious. Not to downplay the task of your must-do list, but I love new beginings.

I found about a dozen such homemade cotton dresses at a Goodwill in southern Indiana, all made for the same person. I was just wondering about restyling a couple into long tunics with side slits. They're prefect for super hot days.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice kenmore behind you.

M.A.H. said...

It is. With the extended warranty nonetheless.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.