December 17, 2009

Dead flowers gasp for mercy killing. Painter refuses to give in.

in-progress: end of Day 5

in-progress: Day 4

in-progress: Day 2

Day 5:
I uploaded the top image at the end of the day today. Not much of a change, but better. I work in oils and rather wet, I might add, so the paint has to dry, or the linseed oil has to set, or the turp has to evaporate before I can continue. I'd like to fashion some tiny palette knives. It's moments like these when I miss Chicago. I discovered a factory in Chicago that made Bissel® type sweepers. I'm not sure if it was the Bissel® plant itself, but my point is that I knew exactly where I could go to find quality scrap metal available for the picking- the kind that would be perfect for making teensy tiny palette knives. I'll figure something out.

I'm trying to figure if I want to keep updating this post every time I make some changes to the flower painting. That seems more arduous than taking pics at the end of every day.

Now back to this morning's post....
~∫~

There will definitely be some big changes today, but I thought I would attempt to honor my previous post where I stated I would upload this particular painting as it progresses, regresses, and flails for dear life. (I'm still shooting hand-held for these in progress shots, so be forewarned.)

You can well imagine that my flowers are dead by now and that I am trying to find a substantial reason to continue my quest to paint a bouquet of dead flowers. We have a small problem, no pun intended. Working abstractly on a small scale was interesting because of the scale change and for reasons having to do with abstract painting. Painting flowers at this scale is like baking a cake and watching my cake fall because I keep opening the oven door to check on how the cake is doing. For the record, I loathe metaphors, but it's all I've got.

3 comments:

Elaine Mari said...

Day 5, cool, pretty "abstracted" hey?

Carla said...

It's a good metaphor.

The linen ground seems insistent on making itself known in a subjective way. That's cool.

M.A.H. said...

I think I happened upon the phrase, "trust the process" somewhere today. Otherwise, I have no idea what's shaking down in the studio. I'm only going to fess that here in the comment section, also know as the powder room of my blog.

I really do loathe metaphors, especially bad ones.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.